my almost margaret bag X’D

while browsing the web for bag tutorials, i came across something called Margaret Bag, by  Oh Fransson. all the margaret bags on the google image search results left me so inspired. i was really itching to sew one up but couldn’t find the tutorial and pattern because the author had retired the pattern :'(

so, i had apparently inherited my mother’s never-give-up genes because when i saw pictures of the bag made using the blue floral IKEA fabric i have, i started to reverse-engineer the bag based on pictures of it from google.. here’s what i came up with..

TADA!! it is more boxy and less ladylike compared to the original but it’ll do for me :’D

got this button from a little shop in Chinatown today because the original dark brown button i randomly used just wouldn’t do! (scroll down for evidence)

yummy top-stitching — my aging Brother sewing machine cooperated very well and i did not have any skipped stitches at all while making this bag!

yes, my pirated version does look different from the original because i did not curve the top of the bag. the length of buttonhole loop and placement of button is also way off ^^;

this is how the bag looked when i first completed it.. the brown button is a spare button from some RTW clothing which i found in my box of spare buttons from RTW clothing, lol

fatty whale modeling the bag — 28 weeks pregnant, in case you’re curious XD

here’s one last picture of my reverse-engineered bag sitting comfortably on my new chair.. hee..

summer’s first dress and my new Brother!

so while mupig was fighting against some unknown stomach virus this week, i nearly went crazy staying up EVERY NIGHT wiping his burning head and neck with peppermint water. instead of resting during the day, i chose to download the baby geranium pattern and ending up making a newborn dress for baby summer. i guess when you’re pregnant, you have somewhat different priorities?

the fabric is a light double-gauze fabric i bought from Japan last July

i was too tired when making the dress and only realized that the gathers were distributed unevenly after the dress was completed *sobs*

pearl snap buttons are from Spotlight

this is the only exposed seam in the whole dress!

behold, raw edges were finished using zig-zag stitch…

this might be the last time i’m using the overlock foot to finish my raw edges because…


I FINALLY BOUGHT AN OVERLOCK MACHINE! i can’t believe i actually waited this long to get one. it takes more time to thread (still, it only took me ~5 minutes to thread all 4 spools leh) and the swinging knife looks scary when the machine is operating at full-speed but IT IS A FREAKING AWESOME MACHINE! so if you’re still sitting on the fence about it, mai tu liao.. get one now!

now my only problem is i don’t have much things to sew XD